Saturday, May 5, 2012

sliding doors at last...again!

oh my goodness, i just finished writing this blog and deleted it! ahhhh...so one more time!

We finished the sliding doors!  Here is the story!

So last weekend we were in Kerrville.  My mom showed Rygh and I an article about a couple who made sliding doors on a budget.  We thought "Hey, we can do that"  and began working!

We found two doors at a local place here in Stephenville.  One door was yellow and one was white.  I decided to crackle pain them!  First off, I washed the doors.  We set up saw horses and laid the doors horizontally on the horses.  I painted a layer of brown paint and let it dry completely.  Next, I painted a layer of Elmer's Glue All Glue.  I let this dry for about twenty minutes...enough to make it tacky.  I then painted the blue on top.  After patiently waiting for a couple of hours and wondering if it was actually going to crackle.. it did!  I was pretty darn excited!




Yay..the doors are painted!  Now on to the challenging part..hanging doors!  First we screwed two eye bolts into the top of each door.  We bought galvanized pipe, elbows, phalanges, nipples, couplings...odd combination,  right!?  We hung the doors in our room and at first they sagged.... back to the drawing board. Lucky for us, Jeff is an engineer and after rigorous thinking came up with a plan!  It worked!  Here is a picture of the way we hung the doors!





The finished project!!


Special thanks to Jeff, Joe, and Rygh for making this happen!


I am loving the added color to our room!

Today, Rygh and I are going to go to Cabela's this afternoon and then to Tim Love's Woodshed Smokehouse!  I'm pretty excited!

Next week, look forward to pictures of our screened in porch!

Have a great weekend!

Lyn



4 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! Great friends!!! I'm anxious to see it in person!! Maybe in a week or two! Hope you have fun at Cabelas!

    Love MOM F

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks fantastic lyn! excellent work. now i have to find something to crackle paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, The quilt doesn't have any blue! You've got blue in your room - problem?

    LOVE MOM F

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think so... Our room is green, blue, and brown

    ReplyDelete