Saturday, May 19, 2012

cake balls!

ello!

Hope everyone is doing well!  I completed my first week of work so far!  It was good!  Its a lot different than what I have been doing but I think I might like it!

Mandie and I made cake balls today for Mikkie's baby shower tomorrow!  Let me just say, cake balls are pretty difficult to make!  After making quite a few, we learned a few tips that I will now pass on!

Here's the recipe we used! http://mikadoweddings.com/blog/diy/a-sweet-treat-for-your-sweetheart-or-guests


First, we made a Styrofoam stand.  I bought two pieces that were the same size. I cut one down and stacked it on the other. I used toothpicks to hold the two pieces together.  I painted a design onto the Styrofoam.  I used scrapbook paper on the top of the base.   I read that you were supposed to use "Styrofoam glue" on Styrofoam but I used tacky glue and it worked just fine!


Next, I made a little "Congrats" flag sign to go on top.  I used scrapbook paper that  I cut into flags. I used thread and sewed them together.  I am going to tie the flag sign between two toothpicks. ...... and  I might have been looking at wedding pictures while doing this! 



I gathered a few supplies to decorate the cake balls...more on this later.


Bake the cake as the box indicates.  Let the cake cool completely.


Next, break up the cake into a large bowl.  Add about half of a tub of cream cheese frosting to the cake crumbs.  Mix the icing and cake together with your hands.  It gets a bit messy!  Next, roll the cake into about one inch balls.  Place on parchment paper in a pan.


Place balls in a pan and place in freezer.  This is a key tip!  The cake ball stick will stick better in a frozen cake ball.


Mandie making great cake balls!


Warm the CandiQuik chocolate in the microwave.  It takes just a few minutes.  Now, dip the cake ball stick about an inch into the chocolate then dip the chocolate end of the stick into the frozen cake ball.  Place a stick into each cake ball.  TIP:  let them dry before covering the rest of the cake ball in chocolate.  It will help the stick stay in the cake ball better. 


Now, dip the cake ball into the chocolate and place onto Styrofoam to harden.  Before, it is completely dry, add decoration to each cake pop.


We had a few mistakes....this is the graveyard.  Rygh enjoyed it!



Place the cake pops into the Styrofoam.

I'll post the finish product tomorrow after the shower!


Well, I have been working this week and Buster has found a new friend.  His new friend and him share lunch together and then snuggle in the chair. 




Rygh and I just made a DQ run with the dogs. Now, we are enjoying an NCIS marathon....oh the exciting life of being married! 

Have a great weekend!

Lyn

1 comment:

  1. Yea... I thought you were going to cook... :) I guess DQ is just better sometimes! Had a great weekend with you! Hope that you have a great week at work. Love all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete