Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The p's and c's of being a pacu nurse!

Hey all! So I have really been enjoying my new job! I have been working at a hospital around here in their recovery room. The hospital does ortho, gyn, pain management, gi, gu, and kids! It's been fun seeing a little bit of everything! I have been working four days a week about 8-10 hours a day. Not too shabby! I get to work around 730 and leave around 430. This means I can actually see people after work, cook dinner for my husband, and even relax a bit before bed! I have been thinking of the pros and cons of my new job....I've decided to write them out so I can look back in a year and see if I still agree with this! Pros... 1. I start at 730 instead of 630! 2. I take care of one patient for a max of an hour...I.e. I don't have to put up with drama for long 3. I laugh everyday at the things people say coming out of anesthesia! "I love you baby". "not now baby". 4. People also make really funny faces 5. I have only cleaned poop up once once since I've been working here...praise the good Lord! 6. I get a full 30 minutes for lunch! Who knew there were people that could relieve you? 7. I don't carry a nortel phone.. 8. I have doctors cell phone numbers.. No more answering services and wondering if they are going to call back! 9. I take care of 3-4 patients a day so I have some down time. 10. I'm not running around like a chicken with its head cut off! 11. The only people I have to deal with are scrubs, circulators, crna's, surgeons, and anesthesiologists! 12. I don't have to buy scrubs anymore! They are hospital issued! 13. I can do stuff after work because I'm not absolutely exhausted! 14. Patients already have iv's that work! Cons... 1. Though my scrubs are hospital issued... I have only found medium and larges so I sport rolled up pants everyday! 2. I'm on call 4 days a month. Life isn't bad these days! I am very thankful for this opportunity and I'm learning a lot! Hope everyone is having a great week! Lyn

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that it is working out!! I'm glad that you are not so tired!! See you in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete